Friday, February 23, 2018

SOCIETY AND SEXUALITY

The film Circumstance directed by Maryam Keshavarz drew me in not only because of the plot, but because of the controversy surrounding the production of the film itself. During class I looked up information to find out more about the movie. I discovered that the film had actually been filmed in Lebanon rather than in Iran. This was of course due to the very harsh laws created by the Iranian government that targets homosexuals and takes away many of their rights. This effectively makes it illegal to be gay in Iran. Filming the movie there was out of the question. This probably only drove the films creators even harder to make sure their message was heard. Even though the culture in Sindu's book is different than my own I still feel as though the issues with tradition that the main character has are universal.   

No comments:

Post a Comment